Toddlers are lightening fast at getting where they shouldn’t be! Homes with babies and toddlers need to consider safety when designing a new kitchen.
Easier for you
- Consider leaving space in your kitchen for a bassinet or playpen away from cooking areas.
- A spacious island, without a cooktop, is a good area for a bouncy seat.
- Plan for plenty of counter space around microwaves and stove tops to avoid spills.
- A 36-inch high island is a perfect place for kids to play or have a snack.
- Dedicate a cabinet close to the microwave for baby foods and utensils for easy access.
Safer for them
- Base cabinets with glass doors should be avoided; use plexiglass instead.
- Avoid breakables on low shelves. Fill with baby-safe items instead.
- It goes without saying: Knives and cleaning products should be kept out of reach.
- Electrical outlets and cords should not be accessible to a toddler.
- Store non-breakable dishes and cups in roll-out base cabinets.